Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bifteck Hache A La Lyonnaise

I will admit I was a bit shocked to find hamburgers in a French cookbook. I was amazed to think, "Julia Child cooked hamburgers?!"

But these are no ordinary run-of-the-mill-slap-on-the-grill burgers. These were ....almost indescribable. But I'll try.

I was a little surprised when the recipe (and this one I followed to a T.)  called for cooking onion slowly in butter. Why not just add raw onion? I still don't know and maybe sometime I'll experiment and use raw onion. But now that I think about it, why mess with a good thing?

If cooking onion first surprised me a little, adding butter to the meat mixture surprised me greatly. I do buy lean hamburger, but there is still fat in there. Why add more fat? But I obeyed this recipe. I added butter to the meat mixture, and then I cooked them in more butter.

All this cooking things in butter and putting butter in every thing has made me determined to not only eat French food, but to eat like a French person.  You know why you never see overweight people from France? They eat smaller portions than those of us living large in America.  Julia Child talks about serving size a little.

She says, "Most of the recipes in this book are calculated to serve six people with reasonably good appetites in an American-style menu of three courses.  The amounts called for are generally twice what would be considered sufficient for a typical French menu comprising hors d'oeuvre, soup, main course, salad, cheese and dessert. ...If a recipe states that the ingredients listed will serve 4 to 6 people, this means the dish should be sufficient for 4 people if the rest of your menu is small, and for 6 if it is large."

I've never cooked multiple courses in my life. It seems so decadent to me. And isn't it funny, here in America we tend to start with salad and then have the main course, while in France they have the main course and then salad.

Anyway I slightly digress. The hamburgers. Words can't begin to describe the taste sensation. The only words I can think of to utter about these delectable round patties of meatly goodness are To. Die. For.  But because that is all I can think of to utter, I'll post a picture of them. And if you ask nicely, I'll get you the recipe, because I'm a kind-hearted soul. (who happens to smell chocolate very strongly right now.)

There are my delicious patties cooking away. They look white because you roll them in flour before adding them to the pan. I thought it would give them a weird texture but it didn't.

When the hamburgers are finished you cook down some beef stock to drizzle on the top of your hamburger. Very tasty.


That picture does not do it justice. Trust me.

Heavenly! Now don't you want to go cook real food?






2 comments:

  1. The reason to cook onions first is because they carmelize and it brings out the sweetness and deliciousness of them. MMMMmmm. Paula Deen has also been known to stuff her burgers full of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of that but you don't carmelize them, you remove them before they carmelize. You cook them until they are translucent. I didn't taste them in the burger at all.

    ReplyDelete