Saturday, May 8, 2010

We have eaten in the last month....

I promise. I've just been so swamped with...life basically. Hopefully life has slowed down enough I can get back to the important things...like blogging about food.

It is not generally best, I've found to blog about food when one is a) very tired. The words just don't come at all and b) very hungry. And conversely if one is stuffed from a marvelous meal it just won't work because the very last thing one wants to talk about is more...food.

So here I sit on a Saturday afternoon, the house is quiet, the only sounds I hear is a distant train and howling wind. What a better time to write. Yeah, I thought you'd agree.

Okay the last meal I made from Mastering the Art of French Cooking was Chicken Fricassee. It seems I've made it before but never from Julia Child's cookbook.

I will admit I was rather disappointed to discover it tasted no different. None. Not at all. I thought for a bit about the benefit to making Julia Child's Chicken Fricassee versus Betty Crocker's Chicken Fricassee.

Then I realized, when you tell someone, "I made Julia Child's Chicken Fricassee last night" your reputation as a cook skyrockets to the moon. Whereas if you say, "I made Betty Crocker's Chicken Fricassee last night" people automatically assumed you opened a box and added your own chicken.

And there you have it. One should always make Julia Child's recipes, even if an easier, quicker cheaper version is readily available.  Because not only will your peers think you are a wonder in the kitchen, people around the world will stand and applaud and your family will rise up singing your very praises.  So will it be worth it to spend an entire afternoon slaving in the kitchen cooking supper?

YES!!!!

But what is not worth it is the picture I'd normally post about now. It is just uhm...nasty. But take it from me, the food was excellent!

1 comment:

  1. I missed you during your blog fast. When you are done with Julia's recipes, you should blog Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete