Friday, October 1, 2010

Feeling a little stupid.

I was at our health food store this afternoon. The book I'm reading "Eat This and Live for kids" by Dr. Don Colbert, has convinced me to eat healthy.  I have spent more on fresh fruits and vegetables in the past month than I have for a very long time.

Dr. Colbert talks about supplements and how important they are because our food is not as healthy as it once was. He also talks about the importance of eating organic as much as possible.

My personal Dave Ramsey won't allow me to buy only organic as much as I might like to.  In light of this, I prayed that God would give me wisdom in how to feed my family. That He would guide my food purchases.

That brings me to being at our health food store this afternoon. I wasn't there to buy organic but I knew they carried some organic fruit and vegetables. I also know they charge you an arm and a leg and pay through the nose.

And that is just darn painful!

This afternoon, I purchased 3 organic oranges, 5 apples and 5 bananas. I bought the girls a good multi-vitamin.  I kept finding things that I wasn't intending to purchase but when I saw them, I knew it was something we needed.

That is NOT a bad thing. What makes it a bad thing is when you have cash. And you ONLY work with cash. It's a bad thing when you have other purchases to make and spend almost all your cash on organics and supplements.

Hence my feelings of abject stupidity.  I realized at supper that I had prayed about the food issues. While I'm not saying "God told me to buy those items even when I might be a bit short for other needs", I think I could almost say that. I bought things we needed, things that will help improve our health.  When I realized that I had prayed I decided and announced to my family that I was finished wallowing in my stupidity.

Which is a good thing.

Except I can't seem to stop thinking about it and dwelling on my feelings of stupidity. I just had 2 Corinthians 10:5 flit through my mind, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ." While I can't say God told me to buy them, I can take my feelings of stupidity and make them obedient to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment