Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Biftek Ala Pepperjack

I made the best burgers tonight. 

I am reading, for review, Eat This and Live for kids. I really want to get the book Eat This and Live now. I am learning so much. Some I already knew and practiced but other things I had no clue. I'll blog more about it as the review date gets closer and I've read more of it. 

One thing I already knew is just how healthy it is to eat food in as close to a natural environment it really is. I knew it was best to eat your carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, apples, bananas, pears, peaches, grapes, mangoes, etc raw. I know that when you cook veggies and fruit a lot of their nutritional value is cooked out.  I know you're supposed to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. That is NOT 5 servings of fruit OR vegetables, but 5 servings of fruit AND vegetables. I fall so short of that. 

So today I was reading this book and was reminded again that I need to set the example for my children in healthy eating.  I had already planned on making hamburgers for supper because we had a late afternoon appointment about 1/2 an hour away.  On our way home from the meeting we stopped at the store, initially to get hamburger buns because the bread is almost gone. I quickly changed my mind though. I bought no bread. None. 

I bought lettuce, tomato, cucumber (and what is with putting wax on my cucumbers? Silly grocer man, wax is for candles not cucumbers) and other fresh vegetables and a lot of fruit.  At home, I put my 2 pounds of hamburger, 1 tablespoon Pampered Chef Parmesean Garlic seasoning, 2 egg whites, 1/2 a orange pepper, chopped, and 1/2 an onion also chopped. I mixed those and put them into the skillet.



Because my meat was so lean, I did have to add 2.5-3 tablespoons of butter to the pan when I turned them. After turning them and letting them cook for 4-5 minutes (really 4-5 minutes a side should be all you need to get them done) I added one slice of pepper jack cheese. (the cheese of choice at our house) I put a lid on the pan and let the cheese melt. I did then check a burger (the last one put in) and when it registered 150 degrees on my meat thermometer I knew they were done nicely. I hate nothing more than an over-done, dry burger. 

Now, I wrapped my cheeseburger in 2 romaine lettuce leaves, and I added 1 tomato slice and one slice of cucumber. It was scrumptious!! I promise you. Oh my. 

To our meal I added sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, spinach leaves and romaine. Some of us put our burger on homemade bread (I think it has to be healthier than store bought). 

As you can see, it isn't me. And it's quite thick. He deemed it excellent though, so who am I to judge?

No comments:

Post a Comment